Friday, February 1, 2013

Switching it Up

We went into the doctor on Wednesday with high hopes of being able to wear two shoes home.  I actually remembered to bring the shoe that has been unworn these last few week and the tech told me after the appointment was over that bringing the extra shoe usually meant you went home in another cast!

He had to have the orginal cast cut off and he did a pretty good job with that.  He made it through the first cut with no tears, but the 2nd cut got the best of him and he had to cut loose with the tears.  Thankfully I remembered to take his ears with us so that helped some.  I knew the noise of the cast cutting would be difficult for him, but I forgot to take into account all the other folks in the office who were having casts removed!    We did lots of distracting, but it was still pretty taxing on him.

Anyway we were able to see some healing on the x-rays on the two bones that are broken in his foot.  They originally thought the break was in the lower tibia, but it was easy to see on the new x-rays that it was actually in his foot. So, we got a brand new shiny, CLEAN, cast.  He picked out bright orange this time!  


Tonight it is supposed to be 17 degrees so we had to alter his footie jammies to accommodate his giant foot.  I hated to ruin a good pair of pajamas, but when a boy hates his covers you have to make some sacrifices.


By the time we got home from our 2 hour visit to the doctor the poor little guy had all he could take.  He walked in the door, grabbed his blanket, crawled onto my bed, turned on the tv, and shut the door.  We didn't hear from him for almost an hour. Doug went and retrieved him for dinner and with much protesting he made it to the table.  After the prayer he looked right at us and said he didn't want to eat dinner with us guys, he wanted to eat all by himself.  So, we took his plate and put him in the living room all alone and he ate his whole dinner. 

I continue to learn that adapting isn't a bad thing.  In years past I would have told my child they were going to sit at the table like everybody else and that was my first thought when we said he didn't want to eat with us, but I'm learning that just because the norm is to sit at the table as a family, it's not the end of the world to do something a little different.  And our Little Man was a much happier little boy because we gave him his time away.

Now we just have to make it another 3 weeks and maybe we can take a bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment