Friday, August 3, 2012

Creating Space

Yesterday we took a little trip to the land of Demon Deacons and left Little Man's tonsils and adenoids behind.  We've always known they were rather large, but when the doctor came out and quickly told us we had made a good decision to have them removed because they were huge, it was reassuring.  We arrived at 6:15 a.m. and by 8:00 a.m. I was holding a a groggy, slightly unhappy boy.  But man, when you look in his mouth now it is like a cave has been created.  He has so much more space in there.  This is a step that we hope will help with his eating, but only time will tell.  

This was about an hour after surgery and he was zoning on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  This was also one of the few times I wasn't in the bed with him.  They really need to make these beds big enough to hold Mama and Baby because he wanted company in his bed, but it was a balancing act to keep us both in there.

They taped his IV on really good, but he kept me busy once he woke up trying to keep him from tangling himself all up. I did a pretty good job until we took a wagon ride later in the day and I managed to get it tangled in the slats of the wagon.  Those things should come with warning labels.

This was the choice of liquid for the day. I lost count, but I'm pretty sure he put away 5 popsicles, one cup of ice cream, one cup of jello, and one cup of pudding.  All that got us released around 8 last night after they had said they were going to keep him over night.

We watched a lot of Thomas and Dora.  I'm pretty sure at this point I was napping while he was watching.


We were the only kid on the floor so we got the wagon all to ourselves.  The nurse brought it in and Little Man was adamant that he was not going on a wagon ride, but after about 2 hours of staring at it he decided we could try.  We only made it about 3 doors down before he was done, but for my own sanity I forced a whole floor walk.  Along the way he charmed all the nurses and several patients.  It's pretty amazing, even grumpy, he can be a charmer.


No comments:

Post a Comment