Thursday, January 12, 2012

We finally did it!

Well, the truth is "we" didn't do it, Doug did!

When the princess turned one I took the no pacifier stance and took it away from her and she went on with life like she had never had one to start with.  So, I was fully prepared to repeat this performance with Little Man.  But as with everything else he has proven that a lot of what I learned the first go around doesn't apply today.

On the way home from hospital and his paci matches his hat already!
When he turned one we were in the midst of fighting a six month long ear infection and my sanity was as attached to his pacifier as he was, so we just let the first birthday deadline come and go. Then as we finally started turning the ear corner we were heading into a vacation season and sleeping changes so we decided to wait until our summer vacation was over.  And then (can you just see the excuses rolling out of me can't you) we had a vacation to be forgotten so we added some more time.  We did manage to establish the bed only rule when he turned one, but if he was sleeping he had his pacifier.



The last few weeks we had been talking about finally taking the pacifier, but we didn't have any grand plans.  So last Friday night while I was over at a friend's Doug decided that the time had arrived.  No fan fair, no giving pacifiers to some needy baby, no cutting the tips off, no gimmicks, just gone!  I'm not sure who was more in shock, Little Man or me.


We are one week out from that night and nobody has totally turned into a monster!  He is still asking for his "api" every chance he gets, but I think he is starting to figure out this big boy thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment